Are you tired of your coffee going cold before you even have a chance to take a sip? We've all seen it happen. It's frustrating dealing with mugs and water bottles that lack insulation, as whatever liquid is inside is super-susceptible to temperature change. Fortunately, this is an easy problem to fix–all you need is a good thermos. In this article, we are going to look at many thermoses and, ultimately, determine which is the best thermos on the market right now. If you don't have a good thermos already, now is the time to pay attention. You've been missing out. Keep reading to see what we found!
1. What Makes the Best Thermos?
The best thermos will keep your beverages/food hot or cold longer than other thermoses. It also may have unique features that set it apart from the competition.
2. Do I Need a Thermos?
Of course! There comes a time in almost everyone's life when a good thermos will come in handy. When you're on-the-go, it will let you take your beverages/food with you without the risk of any temperature change.
How We Reviewed
We did quite a bit of research to find what we believe are the top 10 thermoses out on the market today. This required us to learn the characteristics of each thermos as well as what users had to say about them. After compiling all the data we found, we decided that the most important parameters to judge them by were their abilities to keep beverages/food cold or hot as well as their functionality.
Overall Price Range
The thermoses we reviewed for this article range in price from $15-$38. In general, the more expensive thermoses were able to hold more liquid or food than the less expensive ones. They were also able to maintain a stable temperature for longer.
What We Reviewed
No products found.
- Our Lids Are Sealed – AUTOSEAL technology is leak and spill proof (Yes there is a difference!)
- For the Long Haul – Drinks stay hot up to 5 hours and cold up to 12 with THERMALOCK Vacuum Insulation
- Lend a Hand – Easy one-handed drinking from this travel coffee mug with the push of a button
The first thermos we want to introduce you to is a travel mug by Contigo. Contigo has been pushing the boundaries with their mugs, especially with the introduction of their patented AUTOSEAL technology. Their specially designed mug caps are leak and spill-proof, so if you happen to accidentally knock your mug over, you have nothing to worry about. These are made out of stainless steel and will hold 16 oz. worth of liquid, but if you need more room, there are also 20 oz. and 24 oz. versions. Some may appreciate the fact that these come in 20 different colors, allowing you to pick your favorite shade if desired.
They will keep beverages hot for 5 hours or cold for 12 hours, meaning your coffee will last you until lunchtime and your cold beverages will stay cold all day.
- THERMOS vacuum insulation technology for maximum temperature retention, hot or cold, keeps liquids hot for 7 hours and cold for 9 hours. Product Size (W x D x H): 3.7 x 3.7 x 5.5 inches
- Durable stainless steel interior and exterior
Cool to the touch with hot liquids, sweat proof with cold
- Compact and insulated stainless steel serving bowl; full size folding stainless steel spoon included
- Wide mouth is easy to fill, eat from and clean
If you need a food container that will help with temperature regulation, Thermos has just the right container for you. Their stainless steel 16 oz. food jar is perfect for these occasions. It is large enough to hold a generous portion of food and even comes with a detachable spoon to eat with; thus, if your main meal is a soup, this is all you'll need to bring to the table with you. It has an extra wide mouth, making it easy to pour food into, and stays cool to the touch regardless of what is put inside. You get to choose from 6 different colors–green, red, black, blue, and silver.
This thermos will keep your food hot for 7 hours or cold for 9 hours. If you're looking for the best thermos to keep food in, you'll want to check this one out.
- 18/8 stainless steel won't rust; naturally BPA-free
- Insulated lid doubles as 8oz/236mL cup
- Leak proof and fully packable. Dimensions- 3.80 L x 4.50 W x 14.25 H inches
- Lifetime Warranty
Stanley is a brand that has been around since 1913, and with more than 100 years of experience under their belt, their engineers have had plenty of time to design what could possibly be the best thermos. Their classic thermos is made for travelers who need their food/liquids kept hot or cold for extra long periods of time. With 1.4 qt. of available space, it is large enough to accommodate several people at once. You'll enjoy the capacity this thermos provides, especially if you are out camping or hiking with a group of people. The entire group can easily share this.
As stated earlier, this thermos is meant to regulate temperature for a long time. It will keep liquids hot for 28 hours, cold for 28 hours, or iced for 150 hours. In addition, the cap it comes with doubles as an 11 oz. cup.
- DESIGN IN MIND: With it's easy-access wide mouth, the sleek design holds the same volume of liquid as other leading water bottle brands. Also, safety is top-of-mind, as the bottles are made out of non-toxic BPA-free plastics & 18/8 food-grade stainless steel.
- SLIP-FREE GRIP: Unlike other leading water bottles, Hydro Flask has a powder coat, which gives you a solid grip. The Powder Coat works with the premium TempShield insulation, which prevents condensation from forming on the outside of the bottle, to give you exactly what you want in an everyday refreshment delivery system.
- INSULATION INNOVATION: The double-walled, vacuum insulated TempShield Insulation, the same technology used in all Hydro Flask products, will ensure that your beverage of choice maintains its temperature for many hours to come. Hot drinks up to 6 hours, and cold drinks up to 24 hours.
Another great thermos of note is Hydro Flask's vacuum insulated water bottle. But, is it the best thermos? It certainly seems like it could be, as you'll reap many of the same benefits from it as you will other similar insulated containers. With this thermos, you'll enjoy a rock-solid stainless steel body with a powder coat that helps you keep your grip while carrying or sipping from it. When sipping, you need not worry about losing heat or cold from opening it, as it has a flip top that lets you drink from its internal straw. You get 15 different colors to choose from.
Hydro Flask's thermos comes in 4 different sizes–12 oz., 16 oz., 18 oz., and 20 oz.
- Made with Thermos patented vacuum insulation for maximum temperature retention, hot or cold
- Designed to keep liquids hot for 24 hours, and cold for 24 hours
- Durable stainless-steel interior and exterior keep bottle cool to touch with hot liquids and sweat proof with cold liquids
- Lid doubles as insulated serving cup; twist and pour function allows you to pour without moving the stopper
- With an ample 40-ounce capacity, the bottle offers plenty of sustenance on the go
We previously saw that Thermos has a container meant for food, and right here is their thermos designed for beverages. You might ask–how is this thermos any different from their food jar? While the food jar has a cap that you have to unscrew in order to get to what's inside, this one has openings on the cap which allow you to pour liquid out without having to open the entire thing. This helps preserve the temperature of whatever is inside, ensuring that beverages stay hot or cold even if you decide to pour some out. In addition, the main lid can be used as a serving cup.
This is one of the best Thermos bottles to have around if you need a big beverage container. It will hold 40 oz. of liquid and comes in 6 different colors.
- Thermos vacuum insulation technology for maximum temperature retention, hot or cold, keeps liquids hot for 14 hours and cold for 24 hours, package may vary.
- Durable stainless steel interior and exterior. Product Size (W x D x H): 3.7 x 3.7 x 7.2 inches
- Cool to the touch with hot liquids, sweat proof with cold
- Compact and insulated stainless steel serving bowl
- Wide mouth is easy to fill, eat from and clean
When Thermos's 16 oz. food jar just isn't big enough, you can always upgrade to their 24 oz. food jar. This is the big brother to their 16 oz. thermos, and you'll quickly realize that while it is nearly the same, it offers greater benefits. On the similar side of things, both containers have wide mouths and are made of stainless steel. As far as differences, the most obvious one is the fact that this container is capable of holding much more inside. It doesn't come with a detachable spoon, but most people will see this is a small tradeoff for how well the jar can regulate temperature.
This thermos will keep your food hot for 14 hours and could for 24 hours, which is significantly longer than the 16 oz. version. If you're going to need your food to stay hot or cold for an extra long period of time, this one will be of more use to you than the smaller one.
- Stopper disassembles for thorough cleaning
20oz. capacity with 1-1/2" opening
- Compact design takes minimal space while maximizing capacity
- New pictograph lock. Stainless steel vacuum insulation keeps beverages hot or cold for hours
- 5 year warranty on heat retention
- Made of BPA-free plastic and stainless steel. Easy-to-clean nonstick interior
Another best thermos candidate that flies under the radar for many is the Zojirushi SM-SA60-BA mug. It doesn't get enough love, unfortunately, because people don't recognize the brand. However, it's definitely worthy of a shout out, and you may even decide that it is the best thermos for you. It's a 20 oz. (although there are smaller sizes available) stainless steel mug with a slim design, making it easy to fit into cup holders and stash and tight places. Its unique lid seals tightly to prevent leakage, and a button on the side pops it open when you are ready to pour your beverage out.
The manufacturer does not openly offer details on exactly how long this mug's temperature regulation lasts, but it will keep your beverage hot or cold for several hours.
No products found.
We've already taken a peek at one of Contigo's thermoses, and their relevance concerning containers of the sort doesn't stop there. They have a whole line of different mugs and bottles available for almost every occasion. This particular container is designed to be a water bottle, but we believe it deserves to be on this best thermos list. It features Contigo's trademark AUTOSEAL technology that prevents spills and leaks between each sip you take. One nice feature they added to this bottle is a handle at the top that rests as part of the bottle when not in use and can flip up when you need to carry the bottle.
This is a 20 oz. bottle that is able to keep your water cold up to 28 hours, and we believe you'll agree with us when we say that that is absolutely fantastic! Contigo gives you 12 color options to choose from.
- Thermos vacuum insulation technology locks in temperature to preserve flavor and freshness to keep beverages hot for 12 hours or cold for 24
- Durable 18/8 stainless steel interior and exterior withstand the demands of everyday use
- Convenient twist and pour stopper makes serving simple
- Built-in stainless steel cup lets you enjoy your beverage anywhere
- Light and compact design for effortless transport and storage; stays cool to the touch with hot liquids and is condensation-free with cold
Like Contigo, Thermos also has an entire line of bottles made for use in different situations. As we've already seen, they have beverage bottles as well as food jars. This is another stainless steel beverage bottle by Thermos that is compact and able to fit into most cup holders and other tight places. It has a very simple design with no noticeable bells and whistles to note, but sometimes simple is better. What you get is a sleek silver bottle with a lid that doubles as a cup, and the standard bottle holds 16 oz. of liquid. If that isn't enough for you, Thermos also offers larger versions of this same bottle.
With this bottle, you'll be able to keep your beverages hot for 12 hours or cold for 24 hours. That will last you pretty much all day long.
- Designed to keep beverages cold for up to 24 hours and hot for up to 6, our water bottles feature double wall construction with an extra interior copper layer for superior performance.
- Constructed from premium grade, 18/8 stainless steel that’s non-toxic, non-leaching and BPA free.
- 100% leak proof cap with a three finger grip.
- Extra wide opening for easy filling, drinking and cleaning.
- Vacuum insulated to keep liquids and beverages fresh.
Last but not least is a stainless steel canister by RTIC. This beverage bottle looks like a tank, and we bet running over it with a semi-truck wouldn't even put a dent in it. It has a very basic design that is completely fool-proof in every way. All it is is a bottle with a lid that completely unscrews to reveal what is inside. There is no spout to drink out of; you just open it up and pour your drink out. One nice touch they added to the cap is a semicircle-shaped handle that allows for a 3-finger grip on the bottle. This one will hold 36 oz., but there are other sizes available (18 oz. and 64 oz.).
Although basic, RTIC's bottle still holds up very well. It will keep your beverages warm for up to 6 hours and cold for up to 24 hours.
After breaking down each of these thermoses and then piecing all the details we found together, we decided that the Stanley classic vacuum bottle is the best thermos out right now. The reason is simple–it simply cannot be beaten. We are talking about a canister that will keep your liquid hot or cold for up to 28 hours or chilled for up to 150 hours. Temperature regulation is the most basic function of a thermos, and it surpasses all the other mugs in this regard. In addition, it's well-constructed and has a cap that doubles as a drinking cup.
The Stanley classic vacuum bottle is so practical and efficient that we decided to go ahead and give it a perfect 5/5. As a thermos, it delivers so much that we could not ask for more. If you're in need of one, this is our top choice and recommendation for you. Better times are just a thermos away. You don't have to let your water get hot and your food get cold when you're on the move.