While known mainly as an athletic shoe and apparel company, Nike has many products geared toward the athletically inclined or those wishing to be. One such offshoot of its product line is the HyperFuel Nike Water Bottle sold in both 24 and 32-fluid-ounce sizes. Whether playing in a sporting activity, working out at the gym or just getting your required water intake throughout the work day, the Nike HyperFuel 32-ounce water bottle has you covered. A unique feature is its puff valve that allows you to squeeze and drink with one hand, which is especially useful if you are drinking on the go. This also is helpful for football players or other athletes who need to drink without removing their helmets.
Squeeze sports bottles are common on the market, but this one offers a unique bottle design. The design fits nicely into your hand for easy gripping. The slightly angled waterspout makes it easy to drink without having to tilt the water bottle too much.
The HyperFuel is available in a number of color combinations that are translucent allowing you to see the fluid level without taking off the cap. However, some color combinations are more translucent than others, so if this is an important feature for you, select a clear or light-colored body.
In addition to the HyperFuel, Nike also offers the TR HyperCharge Straw and the TR HyperCharge Twist. As suggested by the name, the HyperCharge Straw uses a straw system to draw the water up to your mouth. The HyperCharge Twist has a screw cap that you take off to drink from this bottle.
Saving the Environment and Your Wallet
Sports water bottles are not only convenient, but regular use of them can also go a long way to help save resources and keep disposable plastic bottles out of the waste stream. On average, Americans use 167 disposable water bottles a year, but only about 38 of them get recycled. More than 2.5 million plastic water bottles are thrown away every hour according to the American Chemistry Council. If you were to line the bottles thrown away each year end-to-end, it would wrap around the earth 190 times. This waste stays around for generations. It is estimated that it takes 1,000 years for one plastic bottle to biodegrade.
If you drink the recommended eight glasses of water a day, you could spend about $1,400 per year on disposable water bottles. That $8-20 investment in a reusable water bottle, such as the Nike HyperFuel, can add up to huge savings if you use it regularly. The cost of running the same water through most taps in your home would only add up to a few dollars a year. If you are concerned about contaminants in your water supply, many affordable water filtration products are available to help take out unwanted particles and chemicals. Many people buy bottled water because they think it is better for them than tap water. This simply is not true. Some bottled water is simply drawn from taps and not the mountain springs the companies lead you to believe. Public water systems are regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency, which requires multiple tests daily for bacteria and other toxins.
Peace of Mind With BPA-Free
The Nike HyperFuel Water Bottle is BPA-free, but what exactly does that mean and why should you care? BPA stands for bisphenol A. This industrial chemical has been around since the 1960s to make certain resins and plastics. It is a common component in polycarbonate plastics often used in food containers or in resins that coat the inside of food cans. Studies have shown that BPA can seep into beverages. This is a concern because of possible health risks, including a negative impact on the prostate gland and brain of fetuses, infants and small children. Some studies also show a likely connection between BPA and high blood pressure.
The Food and Drug Administration has stated that BPA is safe in very low levels, but why take the risk? The Nike HyperFuel Water Bottle is BPA-free, so this is one less thing you need to worry about.
Nike HyperFuel Water Bottle Specifications
How it Compares
- Ease of Use: The standout feature of the Nike HyperFuel is the SwitchFlow spout that makes it possible to drink from the bottle when you only have one hand free. The unique spout allows you to simply squeeze the bottle rather than having to take the time to remove a lid.
- Durability: Since the bottle is designed to be squeezed to drink from, the plastic of this bottle tends to be a little more pliable than other bottles. The softer nature of this plastic means that it potentially could be easily damaged if dropped from any height or onto a hard surface. In addition, the Nike logo tends to wear off after heavy use.
- Warranty: Nike offers a two-year warranty for their sports bottle, though for the first 30 days the bottle can be returned for any reason for a full refund.
- Ease of Use: It is incredibly simple to fill this water bottle thanks to its wide-mouth opening. It also allows for the use of ice cubes of virtually any size. Drinking from the bottle, on the other hand, can be a bit trickier. The company makes an Easy Sipper Nalgene Water Bottle insert, which can be purchased separately, to make things easier. Alternatively, a version with a narrow mouth is also available.
- Durability: These bottles are very tough, and that’s why they are so popular with hikers. In tests, bottles have been dropped from tall buildings and cliffs. The leak-proof quality and ruggedness have set an industry standard.
- Warranty: Nalgene stands behind its products, and these bottle come with a lifetime warranty. If you happen to get a bottle that is defective, the company will replace it.
- Ease of Use: Filling the Hydro Flask with liquid or ice is very easy thanks to its wide-mouth opening. The wide-mouth opening does require some finesse when drinking from it, especially if you don’t want to spill half the contents into your lap. It’s a heavier option weighing in at 15.5 ounces, which is more than double the weight of the Nike HyperFuel 32-ounce. The weight difference may not seem like a big deal until you are carrying the bottle for days at a time. Then, suddenly, those ounces really add up.
- Durability: The Hydro Flask stainless-steel body is very durable, but the metal nature of the product is prone to dings and dents. This is especially true if the bottle is dropped onto hard surfaces or rocks. It should hold up to years of regular use while maintaining is nice look thanks to the scratch-resistant exterior. Any outward blemishes the bottle may acquire through normal use should not affect the way the product functions.
- Warranty: The manufacturer includes a limited lifetime warranty that also protects against product defects.
- Ease of Use: This bottle does not have as wide of an opening as some of the wide-mouth options, but the opening is big enough to load even large ice cubes easily. The standout feature is its magnetic top that helps to keep the lid secure and out of your way while pouring or drinking from the bottle. The mouth opening is large enough to make cleaning a snap.
- Durability: The magnetic lid seems to be very durable, which corrects a defect that was noticed by consumers with prior versions of the Camelbak Chute.
- Warranty: Manufacturer defects are covered by Camelbak’s Got Your Bak Lifetime Guarantee. As is typical with all brands, routine wear and tear would not be covered.
- Ease of Use: The bottle is easy to hold and dispense fluid with a squeeze to the flexible plastic body. The lid allows for water flow in one direction for easy use during sports practice or events.
- Durability: The bottle itself is durable enough, but the Under Armour logo usually rubs off after several weeks of heavy use. While perhaps not as important, many people purchase these products to display the logo of their favorite brand.
- Warranty: Free return within 60 days with proof of purchase.
Pros and Cons of Nike HyperFuel Water Bottle
- Cap allows for one-handed drinking with a squeeze of the bottle
- Easy to hand wash and dishwasher safe
- Nike logo
- Not all color combinations are as translucent making it harder to see fluid level without unscrewing the lid
- Nike logo wears off after heavy use
- Relatively high cost for a plastic bottle
Nike is widely known for its sports apparel, especially athletic shoes. But if you are a Nike fan, you may want to consider adding the HyperFuel to your collection or one of the other sports water bottles offered by the company. The sporty Nike logo is featured prominently on any of the bottles it offers. Unlike the other bottles Nike sells, the HyperFuel is especially useful for hydration in the heat of a game, practice or jog around the neighborhood without having to fumble with flipping up a drinking straw or untwisting a cap. Simply squeeze the bottle for a refreshing drink of water or any other beverage.
As far as sports bottles go, this one is fairly typical, yet functional and durable. If you are into sporting the Nike logo, this is a great option. Other similar bottles can be found that offer the same functionality but at much lower cost. The bottle design does make it stand out from other bottles. The Ergonomic grip makes it very easy to hold, and the slightly angled design allows you to drink with limited arm bending.
Overall, we give the Nike HyperFuel Water Bottle four out of five stars. The higher price for a plastic bottle and the tendency for the logo to wear off are the two main detractions. Other than this, you should get many years of use out of this highly functional and attractive bottle.